If you’ve decided you’re ready to build a new home, you have probably been presented with the question about whether you would like to build to lock up or a complete package home. The differences are vast so it’s important to know exactly what you’re signing up for before committing to one or the other. To help provide you with all the knowledge you need to make an informed decision, we’ve put together an overview of each below:
What is a Built to Lock Up Home?
A built to lock up home is essentially the bare bones foundation, including only flooring, exterior walls, and the roof. Basically, a built to lock up home is completed to a point that it is safe from the elements and secure from the outside. It’s worth keeping in mind that basic built to lock up packages will not include plumbing, electrical, or plaster however some builders such as Swanbuild will allow you to customise your requirements to include extras such as these if required.
Who should consider a built to lock up home? What are the benefits?
- You have a background in construction or contracting.
- You want to be hands-on in the building of your home.
- You are seeking to do-it-yourself when it comes to the interior of your home.
- Initial construction is often less expensive.
What are the drawbacks for a built to lock up home?
- Built to lock up homes often take longer to complete due to the DIY aspect; pushing your move-in day back considerably.
- Finishing the interior is often more expensive because individuals often don't have trade discounts for things like cabinetry, paint, fixtures, etc
- Multiple contractors, or companies, will work on your home meaning details can sometimes be overlooked.
What is a Package Home?
A package home from Swanbuild includes everything required in order for you to be able to move in to your new home including paint, cabinets, window coverings and electrical work. Essentially, a package home means your house will have all the bells and whistles the day the keys are handed to you. Keep in mind that all package price homes are not created equally and it’s best to check with your specific builder as to what’s included.
Swanbuild offers an exceptional level of ‘standard’ inclusions and all package options are completely customisable so you can truly create the home of your dreams. To make things even easier, you are also welcome to take advantage of our complementary design consultation with our colour and design experts to take the hassle out of styling your new home.
Who should consider a package home? What are the benefits?
- You want a move-in ready home.
- You have no desire to get your hands dirty during the building of your home.
- You have limited hands-on experience in the installation of internal fittings and fixtures
Knowing the difference between lock up and package homes is key to getting the home of your dreams. At Swanbuild, we understand that no two homeowners are the same, so you can choose to build your new home to either lock up or complete package with various customisations available for each. Whatever option you decide, we hope you will love your new home for years to come!